June 16, 2021
Anglers were out there catching some real big ones this week. The warmer weather is making the fish go down deeper, but fishing all around the lake was successful. Power bait with garlic in various colors seemed to be best this week. Thomas Buoyant lures and the new Gorditos Custom Baits, which are now available in the store, were also very productive.
The Round-Up Derby ended on Sunday evening and the results will be posted tomorrow. We are pleased to say that everyone who caught a 14 inch or bigger fish has won a prize! Thank you to all who participated in the derby. It is always a fun way to start off the season.
- The biggest catches this week were for Anthony and Miguel who each caught some whoppers over 4 lbs. each using the new Gorditos Custom Baits.
- Sarah from Hemet got her 1 ¼ lbs. beauty on yellow/green power bait on South Shore.
- Tyler got a big 3 lbs. on garlic power bait
- Jay caught a 2 ½ lbs. on garlic power bait.
- Brandon from So. Pasadena used rainbow power bait on North Shore and caught a 2 ¾ lbs. lunker.
- John and Holly both caught ones that qualified them for the Round Up Derby.
- Chris and Chris both had a fine day out on the lake.
- Joshua used a Thomas Buoyant to bring a 4 lbs. lunker.
Remember to come into the store for all your fishing licenses, rods, baits, tackle and snacks before heading down to the lake. We are open daily at 6:00 AM for those who want to get the early morning bite.
JUNE 2, 2021
We have had beautiful weather this week and the bite has been great. We stocked the lake with 700 pounds of lunkers for the Memorial Day weekend and for the Hangman’s Tagged Fish Derby. Unfortunately, no tagged fish were caught, but quite a few anglers qualified with a 14 inch or larger trout for the random drawing for prizes valued at $6000 as part of The Round-Up at the Lake Derby which will end on June 13th.
The Inlet and South Shore were the hottest areas on the lake. Once again, inflated night crawlers, garlic power bait in yellow and rainbow were bringing in some big ones. Gulp pinched crawlers were also quite effective.
Ted from Pasadena caught a whopper 5.75 lbs. on yellow power bait on South Shore.
Bert from Bakersfield had a 2 ½ lbs. beauty caught on rainbow power bait at the Inlet.
Daniel from Upland caught a 5.25 lbs. lunker on a garlic pinched crawler at the Inlet.
Aaron from La Crescenta tried a different tactic and used a nymph fly and it proved to be a success. He pulled in a 4 ¾ lbs. and a 2 ½ lbs. at the Inlet.
The Boys Catching a Buzz is just a big reminder to please carry out all of your trash. Let’s all keep our lake area as pristine clean as possible. It is too gorgeous to leave your litter behind!
The store is open everyday at 6:00 AM. You can get your fishing license, bait and coffee before heading down to the lake. The marina crew has boats ready to take out at 6:00 AM too. Boat reservations are definitely recommended.
The Aspen Grill opens at 7:00 AM daily for our famous gigantic breakfast burritos and other tasty breakfast and lunch choices.
We look forward to seeing you this summer and making 2021 memories.
MAY 26, 2021
Anglers who were brave enough to take on SNOW and strong winds early in the week were bringing in their limits on night crawlers and Berkley garlic power bait. The weather was wonderful later in the week and lunkers were pulled out with mini jigs and salmon peach and yellow power bait. The action was all around the lake especially North Shore and South Shore.
- Tamara from Fresno, CA caught the biggest whopper an 8.1 lbs. beauty on a mini jig on South Shore.
- Joseph from Cyprus, CA caught 4 ½ lbs. nice one on a night crawler on North Shore.
- R. from San Gabriel, CA had a fine catch of a 3 lbs. on power bait on North Shore
- Khachig from Duarte, CA caught a 1 ¼ lbs. rainbow.
Both J.R. & Khachig are in the Round-Up Derby and they are now qualified to be in the final drawing.
- Janet from Las Vegas used a night crawler to a bring in a 3 pounder on North Shore.
- The Llamas Family came up from San Fernando, CA and caught enough for a big fish fry for dinner using salmon peach power bait on South Shore.
- Olivia, Jason, Steve and family had some fun and had a great stringer of fish.
The lake was stocked twice last week and we will be stocking it again twice this week with big ones from Oregon. The Hangman’s Bonus Derby Weekend is this coming weekend. We will stock 10 tagged fish with a value of $2000. There will be (1) $1000 tag, (1) $500 tag, (2) $100 tags, and (6) $50 tags. You must be entered into the Round-Up at the Lake Derby to be eligible to redeem the tags. The tagged fish must be presented to Convict Lake Store the day it is caught and the tag must be intact. To enter the derby the fee is $16 and you can sign up in the store. The Round-Up Derby will continue until June 13, 2021. Catch one 14-inch fish and you will be qualified to enter into the drawing of $6000 in prizes.
For those who are eager to get out there really early in the morning, the store will have new hours starting on Friday, May 29th. We will be open daily at 6:00 AM. Closing times will remain the same, Monday through Saturday 8:00 PM and on Sunday 7:00 PM.
COME ON AND SEE US, WE’RE SO EXCITED SUMMER IS ON THE WAY!
MAY 19, 2021
As typical in the spring, in the Eastern Sierra, Mother Nature rolled in thunderstorms and crazy winds this week. The wind is blowing as I type this!
Despite all of this, the fishing has been quite fine at the lake. Both the creek and the lake have been stocked!
The Resort will be stocking the lake with TAGGED fish for our Hangman’s Cash Prize Derby over Memorial Day Weekend. Be sure to sign up in our General Store!
The bite has been successful on inflated night crawlers, garlic power bait in assorted colors and Mouse Tails. The old stand-by, the red and gold Thomas Buoyant, also was a good bet to use. Both North Shore and South Shore seemed to be the hot areas.
We had some big catches by our smallest anglers. It is always exciting to see the little one pull in their first trout.
- Nick Incardona caught a 6 lbs. beauty on a brown Mouse Tail with a red head on North Shore.
- David Newman from Long Beach caught his 3.5 pounder on a night crawler by the handicap ramp.
- Sylvia Diaz from Three Rivers pulled in a 3 ½ lbs. using a night crawler with garlic oil over on North Shore.
- Dave Cavelli from Santa Barbara had a big catch of a 3.0 lbs. also using a night crawler on North Shore.
- John and Terry had the biggest lunker of the week with an 8 ¾ lbs. and a 2 ¾ lbs. with a night crawler on North Shore. Way to go!
- Mark, Courtney, and 4 month old, Sloane, from Riverside pulled in a stringer with 3 ¼ lbs. and 3 ½ lbs. on South Shore.
- Easton who is only 5 years old from Hemet was able to bring in a 2 ¾ lbs. big one using a night crawler on South Shore.
- Mason from McKinney, Tx. reeled in a 3 ¼ lbs
Come on up and see us and throw your line in the lake!
Anglers have had another successful week at the lake. The weather cooperated and fish were caught all around the lake from the shore, as well as, from our boats.
Night crawlers, garlic power bait, salmon peach and yellow power bait were hot tickets. Green and black Marvel Flies also did the job.
Craig and his grandson, Samuel, had a great day! Craig caught a 2.50 lbs. rainbow with a green Rooster Tail,
Mike caught a 3.50 lbs. beauty on North Shore with power bait.
Laura caught her first fresh water fish with garlic power bait!
Lenny had a nice catch with a 2 ¾ lbs. and a one pounder with yellow power bait in the jetty area.
We look forward to seeing you at the lake!